“Mayonnaise has been given a bad rap for being unhealthy. Truth is, we should probably never touch the store bought stuff. It’s made with canola and/or soybean oil which are horrible. Not to mention whatever preservatives or additives are in there! However, homemade mayonnaise is actually good for you and tastes delicious… Much different than that stuff on the shelves. You can use olive oil, macadamia nut oil or avocado oil. Get creative and add in garlic, spices or fresh herbs.” – Amanda
What you’ll need:
- 1 organic, cage-free egg
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground mustard seed
- ½ tsp each pepper and salt
- 1 cup avocado oil (or olive oil)
How to make it:
- In a blender or food processor, blend egg, lemon juice, mustard seed, pepper and salt (if you’re adding extra seasonings or herbs do so in this first step).
- Once blended, slowly pour in the oil while processing to fully emulsify – this may take a while.
- Store in an airtight container. It should hold up for at least a week.