“When I posted this picture on Instagram I had no idea the popularity it would gain (I actually almost didn’t even post it). This recipe was thrown together tonight when I got home from work and realized I hadn’t prepped anything for dinner. It’s basically all the vegetables I had in my fridge/freezer thrown together with chicken, coconut milk and some curry spices. I never measure spices when I’m cooking (something I’ll have to start doing if I’m going to be sharing recipes) so start out small and add more to taste. The great thing about curry is that it really goes well with any vegetable/meat. So, that said, feel free to adapt the recipe to include whatever you have hanging out in your fridge!” – Amanda
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped in thin strips (I used orange and yellow)
- Handful of mushrooms
- About 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables (I had broccoli, cauliflower and carrots)
- 1 can coconut milk (13 oz)
- Red curry paste
- Yellow curry powder
- Butter or cooking oil of your choice
How to make it:
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add peppers and cook until soft. Next add in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- While the peppers/garlic are cooking, season your chicken breast generously with turmeric, curry and paprika (again, I don’t measure so I’m not really sure the exact amount I used).
- Add chicken to the pan and brown on all sides.
- Pour in coconut milk and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Push the chicken and vegetables aside and mix in about a teaspoon of red curry paste (you can add more of this depending on your taste).
- Add in your vegetables and simmer for another 10 minutes (or until vegetables are cooked to your liking).
Due to the bareness of my refrigerator this is how I ate my dish. However, it would be best served over rice/cauliflower rice.